Here at Locks and Shades we are used to doing haircuts for children. However very often we meet children that are not used to having a haircut.
While for you it may be an exciting and enjoyable experience to go to the hair salon. For your child the first time they’re booked in for a children’s haircut can be scary. In this blog post we have together some top tips to help ensure a successful haircut for you and your child.
- Make sure you visit the salon before the children’s haircut, this way your child has seen the salon, maybe even met their hairdresser too. This way they know what sights, sounds and smells to expect so this takes one scary hurdle out of the way.
- Bring some treats if your child is younger, and if your child is older your hairdresser won’t mind the treats!!!! A little bit of bribery for a young child’s first haircut isn’t a bad thing. It can be a really good motivational / behavioural tool.
- It is a good idea to keep your child with the same hairdresser. They will get on from the first appointment and the trust will be built. Changing hairdresser for each childrens’ haircut is not a good idea and can upset your child.
- While it may be tempting to sit with the child this may not be the best option. Children can settle very quickly when you’re not hovering round them. It also means you won’t get in the hairdressers way too.
- It’s a good idea to get your haircut too. This can be a great father-son or mother-daughter bonding session, especially if you go for similar styles.
The Locks and Shades team offer children’s haircuts throughout the year. Booking is not always essential in advance, but we would recommend doing so to avoid waiting around. This is especially the case during school holidays and weekends.
Why not bring your child into our hair salon in Peterborough to book the appointment so they can see the salon and get used to it?